In December 2010 Dr Maureen Baker chaired a workshop, held by the National Patient Safety Agency (NPSA) and NHS Connecting for Health (NHS CFH), to discuss patient identification in primary care.
To raise awareness of the importance of the NHS Number amongst patients and the wider public, the workshop recommended that patient posters be created for use in GP surgeries and community pharmacies. The following posters have since been developed for local use intended for primary, secondary and community/general care settings.
Both the web and high resolution versions of these posters are downloadable for local printing to support any communication activities your organisation is undertaking.
NHS Number A4 posters
- Primary care poster (ref 4785) high res (PDF, 1.8MB)
- Primary care poster (ref 4785) low res (PDF, 489.2kB)
- Secondary care poster (ref 4786) high res (PDF, 903.8kB)
- Secondary care poster (ref 4786) low res (PDF, 473.3kB)
- Generic poster (ref 4787) high res (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Generic poster (ref 4787) low res (PDF, 504.2kB)
Local trust posters
Trusts have also produced local posters for patients and specific staff groups:
- Your NHS Number poster (from NHS North East Essex) (PDF 69Kb)
- NHS Leeds poster (PDF 136Kb)
- Poster for administrators (from Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust) (PDF 37Kb)
- Poster for clinical Staff (from Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust) (PDF 37Kb)
Some Trusts produced a covering letter for distribution with theses posters. The letter explains that the posters should be placed in prominent areas and advises staff to check whether patient records include NHS Numbers.